Wednesday, February 19, 2014
What to Do Next?
I don't usually share the inner workings of my thoughts on the blog, but here lately Vlad and I have been musing about what we want to do and where we want to go next. It's always better to have options, and we've thankfully got a few.
One thought is that we stay here in Mexico for a bit. We could sail in the Sea of Cortez, keep practicing our Spanish and continue living in a country that we totally dig. We love the people here and the food, not to mention that our kiddo is a native. Eventually, of course, we would have to bash our way back up the coast to California, which is a 1,700-mile trip to San Francisco against the wind and the current. You know, pretty much our favorite way to travel.
The other, one might say crazier option, is to make that big leap across the Pacific this year, sail through French Polynesia and end up in New Zealand. From there, we would have the option to sell the boat or do more exploring. This is about a 7,000-mile voyage theoretically with the wind and the waves, but given our track record, well, you never know.
As far as wear and tear on Bettie, I'd say the two choices are both rough. Though doable, the bash up to California sounds pretty crap, and the trip to New Zealand is just plain long with the occasional tough sail thrown in. I can't help but daydream, though, about preparing for and then completing the longest ocean passage in the world, seeing some remote places we might never see otherwise and possibly sailing with the wind behind us for once. Maybe I'm just getting swept up in the Puddle Jump fever that's in high gear around the bay these days, but there's something about it that seems just so enticing.
On the other hand, we really love Mexico, and with the new baby we are a short plane ride away from family. And Jari, for sure, puts a whole new perspective on things. I'm not necessarily scared to be out in the middle of the Pacific with our two month old, but the weight of that decision all of a sudden seems quite heavy. What if something goes wrong and we are 1,500 miles away from land?
It's a lot to digest. Right now, we're just going to continue doing what we're doing - working and getting the boat put together, and when April rolls around, we shall see where we stand. I'm not the only one reconsidering our route. Our friends over at Our Life with Ceol Mor are as well.