Monday, October 17, 2011

Attack of the Cannonball Jellyfish!


One of the things I love about living on a boat is getting to watch strange, new wildlife gurgle or fly by the boat. I don't even have to go anywhere, and there are gar, night herons and sheep's head fish just doing their thing right beside me. It's great entertainment if you grew up watching nature shows on PBS.

Lately, the marina has been invaded by these funky pulsating jellyfish that I thought looked like glowing balloons but Vlad discovered were called cannonball jellyfish. I'm sure other people don't find them quite as fascinating since, according to Wikipedia, these jellyfish are incredibly common this time of year in the Gulf, but, of course, we are obsessed.


To give you an idea of how many of these puppies are floating around right now, I was on a second floor balcony looking out at the bay, and I must have seen over a hundred bobbing in the waves. Evidently, cannonball jellyfish are supposed to be good eating, a delicacy in Asia as Vlad was telling me, but I think I'll just stick to looking at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment